... mainly describes the usage of my program - The Frying Pan (shareware), which is (as the name says ;) a CD / DVD burning / mastering software for alternative platforms (Amiga / Pegasos / A1 / Amithlon & UAE / other clones).
Program is based mainly on users' suggestions as well as own inventions; I hope You find this program easy to use and suitable for Your needs. Enjoy Your browsing!
Latest news (english version only):
|01 mar 2008|
For all those who had problems with:
- strange texts in cycle buttons,
- enforcer hits at the program end,
- still unclosed discs
the 1.3.2 update holds some fixtures. Otherwise, 1.3.1 is still good :-).
|19 feb 2008|
Fryingpan 1.3.1 hot update||
Whoever uses FP 1.3.0 and encountered problems with on-the-fly recording should switch to new FryingPan 1.3.1 which includes also
the salvage for the discs suffering problems of the older version.
To recover your disc (using UI) - choose 'Close Tracks', then 'Close Session' in Media page, or use adequate CLI switches for Optical.
- 0000093: [Behaviour] DVD tracks remain open after write (Error)
Thanks to Fulvio Peruggi, Szymon Tomzik, Christoph Poelzl for their help in problem analysis.
|11 feb 2008|
FryingPan 1.3.0 is out||
I'm happy to announce the new release of The Frying Pan (1.3.0) which comes with following fixes and features:
- 0000078: [Behaviour] Make Fryingpan remember current prefs (Error)
- 0000089: [Behaviour] Invalid FP behaviour on adding RAW audio files (Error)
- 0000041: [Behaviour] Write Speed is too high (Error)
- 0000082: [GUI] Snapshot normal / reduced window positions and sizes (Error)
- 0000087: [GUI] Add system menu featuring MUI settings (Error)
- 0000085: [Behaviour] FP wont allow the highest writing speeds for the media (Error)
- 0000071: [Engine] Crash during iso construction on OS4 with SP1 (Error)
- 0000073: [Behaviour] Support for Plextor Drive (Error)
- 0000054: [Engine] EngineOps crashing while burning MP3's (Error)
- 0000055: [Engine] EngineOps crashed while burning MP3's (Error)
- 0000086: [Behaviour] FP crashed after I chose to add an ISO format file into "Data/Audio Tracks" menu (Error)
- 0000074: [GUI] FP throws assertion failure dt != 0 with old datatypes.library (Error)
- 0000084: [GUI] Replace module-open assertions with requesters (Error)
- 0000051: [Data Handling / Plugins] Support for foreign image system (nero) (Error)
- 0000076: [Feature Request] Optimize FryingPan code (Error)
- 0000075: [Engine] Some drives don't report all available writing speeds (Error)
- 0000068: [Behaviour] problems launching fp when device is missing (Error)
- 0000072: [Behaviour] UAE: unable to start application when device is not present (Error)
- 0000069: [Feature Request] Support for foreign image system (cue/bin) (Error)
to conclude above:
- disc image handling has been added - you can use cue or nrg images (although certain track formats may still be unsupported due to 'closed format' of NRG structure),
- CD masterizing goes one step ahead with indices (available primarily with CUE only)
- Certain Toshiba, Panasonic and Plextor drives are now supported
- MP3 issue has been resolved on PPC platforms (original includes still don't feature adequate __attribute__'s)
- bug fixes
- UI improvements
|16 aug 2007|
I'm back :)||
although my trip was supposed to take just four weeks, i've been gone for 2 months. I'm back and i've resumed work on FP :)
|06 jul 2007|
I will have to stay in the USA for another month.. I am sorry for inconvenience. You can still reach me via mail.
|06 jun 2007|
please hold on with registrations||
since i've been delegated to fort worth (texas), i will not be able to parse your requests until i come back. please keep that in mind. my stay should not affect the development much, but i can't do much testing either, so no release till i come back. sorry.
minor information update||
Just to let you know: the work on fryingpan has not been suspended.
at the very moment i can tell you that cd-text is working and session importing and exporting takes its shape. i've managed to export a cue sheet of audio-only disc, import it back and record on disc (with cd-text!). it worked. i hope to be able to give you more with next release.
speedup patches for morphos||
i am aware that fryingpan takes some time to burn discs on morphos. i want you to consider certain patch - not for fryingpan, but for morphos itself.
it turns out memory allocations are real pain in the butt on morphos. i've done some benchmarks and it seems that i can perfrorm ten million (10'000'000) allocations on OS3 and OS4 within few seconds (~5.6s and 1.8s respectively), while ten times less (one million, 1'000'000 allocs) take over 30 seconds on morphos.
i've tried to reduce the allocation time by reducing security mechanisms (semaphores). to make allocations safe i tried to associate tasks with pools (so one memory pool per task), but the code turned out to execute 3x longer (due to extremely slow FindTask(0) command, that is unthinkable).
I would like you to give 'APooler' a try. You can find the utility here:
Morgoth's Download Page
And.. no, I won't reduce the allocations. Memory allocation is a system time critical operation. FP operates on memory alot (virtually every string now uses at least one memory allocation, many string operation create a temporary buffer, and the whole is object oriented to give me some control over behavior and memory control). I haven't done that for fun or to make fp a pain in the ass. i won't revert to one huge structure. Talk to MOS team to fix this flaw.
|22 mar 2007|
1.2.3 update out||
As usual, when some major fixes are done.
- 0000064: [Behaviour] Prepared ISO files can not be deleted (Error)
- 0000060: [GUI] Window does not snapshot (Error)
- 0000063: [Data Handling / Plugins] icon files missing/mangled (Error)
- 0000059: [Behaviour] WAV import module loads files forever (Error)
|08 mar 2007|
1.2.2 update out||
This update fixes few OS4 and Morphos issues (only one tracked in bugtracker unfortunately)
- icon launch ond morphos is fixed (the __abox__ symbol makes the whole app behave differently),
- os4 final and older drives no longer suffer crashes when disc is ejected
- dos device pickup has been fixed (os4 final)
- 0000056: [Behaviour] Freezing when burning files without READ protection bit set (Error)
|28 feb 2007|
1.2 is out||
After some perturbations with 1.1 the 1.2 is officially out. I hope to keep the tempo and add some new features to next releases.
February wasn't as good as i wished it to be...
The Frying Pan - 1.2
- 0000049: [Behaviour] debug version crashes (Error)
- 0000033: [Behaviour] Halts when loading large .iso (Error)
- 0000048: [Behaviour] Does not update disc usage bar after disc blanking completes (Error)
- 0000047: [GUI] FP crashes when closed or non-writable disc is inserted (Error)
- 0000046: [Behaviour] FP shows assertion requesters instead of information when no mpega.library is found. (Error)
- 0000045: [Behaviour] Search for keys in other locations (Error)
- 0000043: [Behaviour] Wipeout hit in MUI.interface module (Error)
- 0000044: [Behaviour] MorphOS binary lacks __abox__ symbol (Error)
|28 jan 2007|
1.1 is out||
Version 1.1 is oficially out. You can find it in download section. Have fun!
List of changes:
- 0000040: [Feature Request] Eject after write option (Error)
- 0000039: [Feature Request] Write speed selection (Error)
- 0000037: [Feature Request] add 'Blank Before Write' checkbox to write page (Error)
- 0000031: [Feature Request] "Tool" button that will allow run operations quickly (Error)
- 0000018: [GUI] FP freezes when a lot of files are added and displays bad drive information (Error)
- 0000035: [Behaviour] ISO builder is very slow (Error)
- 0000032: [Behaviour] Add sii####ide.device to list of harmless devices (Error)
- 0000030: [Behaviour] Fryingpan crashes upon close, when started from an icon (Error)
- 0000029: [Behaviour] Files in iso builder are not sorted (Error)
- 0000026: [Behaviour] ASL requesters show weird chars in path when native characters were used previously (Error)
- 0000028: [Behaviour] Crash, when no file is selected to add to data/audio tracks and user presses OK (Error)
- 0000027: [Engine] Engine has problems detecting profile of older drives (Error)
- 0000025: [Behaviour] Program is unable to stop download when file writing fails. (Error)
- 0000014: [Feature Request] measure time req'd to complete erase/format operation, report it as ETA (Error)
- 0000015: [GUI] the disc usage bar does not show calculated disc usage (Error)
- 0000022: [GUI] Drag'n'Drop to Data/Audio tracks does not work (Error)
- 0000021: [Behaviour] FryingPan does not remember Disc Name and System ID for next session (Error)
- 0000020: [GUI] Layout size reported improperly (Error)
- 0000016: [GUI] Iconified FryingPan shows default icon labelled as "unnamed" (Error)
- 0000019: [Behaviour] FryingPan keeps lock on displayed images after exit (Error)
- 0000017: [Behaviour] When FP is unable to open UI module, it crashes (Error)
- 0000011: [Behaviour] a1ide.device is reported as unknown / potentially harmful (Error)
- 0000012: [GUI] Enforcer hits after selecting dos device (Error)
- 0000013: [GUI] length of large tracks (>4GB) is displayed improperly (truncated) (Error)
News are now managed with RSS. It's not a great feature, but will help you keep a track on what is really going on without having to open the site :).
|31 dec 2006|
Pretty much done!||
First releases are ready for download. Native versions can be found in Download section. Also, please do read the README file. Thanks :).
AROS ATA support 90% ready :)||
Just keep your fingers crossed. I know this system spins up slowly, but sooner or later we all might see its bright sides :)
|01 oct 2006|
And here is the german web site (you can select the language on side bar).
Many thanks to Hans Jorg Ottinger for his great effort :).
|26 sep 2006|
POLISH POST OFFICE KEEPS ROBBING MY MAIL||
This is the VERY LAST TIME I give you keys for an empty envelope.
I WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT ANY REGULAR MAIL. From now on EVERY ENVELOPE I receive will be kept as evidence for further actions I intend to take. It has been something around SIX MAILS I RECEIVED this year, all torn and robbed.
DO CONSIDER MY WORDS BECAUSE I MEAN IT.
|01 jul 2006|
- Content page progress bar displays proper values now
- Progress bars start from valid positions when appending already written disc
- Overall progress bar displays valid information when burning multiple tracks in TAO
- Install script utilizes xad/lha/lzx whichever is found first
- in_MP3.module has been updated and features checking (accepts only MPEG1 LAYER3 44kHz Stereo)
- multiselection of data/audio tracks is now allowed. you can change filetype for multiple tracks
at once, remove multiple tracks in a single click etc
- removed scroll bar from settings & hardware settings panels
- write method is now recorded
- empty iso images are ignored from now on
- added text object displaying amount of data to be written to disc
- write speeds are properly remembered now
|15 jun 2006|
I decided to set up a bugtracking system. That should make things easier for all of us.
Please keep in mind a few things:
- if you register, it is easier for you to keep track on changes and for me to ask for details I may need to reproduce issue,
- "blocking" severity level is more related to development than locally found issues and means (more or less) "no further coding can be done till the issue is fixed", so basically:
- use the system reasonably :)
- Some functional areas are still missing in tracking system. I added the most common ones. If you find something that does not fit in any of the cathegories, choose the one that applies best, I'll take care of it
- This bugtracker isn't perfect and I know about it. Already spotted a few issues (like RSS feeds) but I think it's still more than we actually need ;)
I changed the page a little (i wonder if you noticed) and these few combos on the right actually make more sense now :). Should more languages appear some day, the cookies will remember your settings. Some subpages still have to be written...
|10 may 2006|
Install script ready||
I have just uploaded a version that includes install script.
I hope it works well for most of you guys :)!
|08 may 2006|
a few more things to those who were looking after them:
- File dates are preserved,
- A tiny menu added - now you can set your FP mui settings,
- in_WAV module added (please note: there is no compression support. assumed file format is: 44kHz, stereo, 16b/ch, little endian),
- minor fixes done to the GUI,
- minor fixes done to the ISO builder,
- i've done my best to make in_MP3 handle regular files a bit better, but libmad has troubles...
I think this is all for now. Have fun.
|30 apr 2006|
K, seems the release is stable enough for you folks ;).
I've released 0.4c FryingPan for all of you who had troubles or ideas recently. It fixes a number of problems (I bet it includes new ones as well), so - what do we have?
read & write speeds are set right after the disc is discovered,
Amiga specific rockridge extensions appear to work good - enjoy your comments & protection bits :),
Gauge has been updated a bit...,
Contents are now discovered properly on some "incompatible" -ROM drives
Writing does not end at 65535% any longer heh,
Filerequesters will show you your .info files,
You can name your drives,
A requester is displayed when you try to write too much data to your disc,
No overburning for DVDs allowed,
You can specify system type for your disc (so you can make a bootable MOS disc, too ;),
Data is updated after erase operation,
MUI4 problem has been fixed,
You can start FP from an icon (yeeee!! hehe),
Iconifying FP will display its icon instead of default one.
|30 apr 2006|
"and the Oscar goes to..."||
GREAT thanks to HIGHLANDER for his fantastic contribution to the project - fantastic skin for 0.4FP and a cool CoFFE icon :D.
|30 apr 2006|
It's been a while...||
... but I think some of you may find some good information for themselves.
1. so far the upcoming software works on OS3, OS4, Morphos and Aros (the last one is only supported partially, due to lack of ATAPI implementation in the system itself)
2. registration rules have changed. For better? For worse? I don't know. There were many requests concerning this topic.
3. in download section you may find some fresh stuff. It is still not 100% operational.. but well, I think it does 85% of the job - well ;) hehe
ahhh and a very important information.
Since we cannot reach a common ground with Forpsi, which constantly filters out our regular mail treating it as a spam, that we cannot verify later on - I have decided to change my email address once again.
Please write to Tomasz.Wiszkowski at GMail.com.
|long long period...|
i am still alive||
yes, i know it took me a lot of time to come back here.. well hope you will find the upcoming releases promising :)
|16 mar 2005|
Here goes! Check out the download section! minor bugfixes, big speedup, correct support for dvd media on many new drives!
|28 feb 2005|
Here we go!||
Yep, seems I fixed some problems with existing source. Hoping to release a small fixup VERY soon :)
|3 nov 2004|
To my vena...||
If You're reading it, contact me A.S.A.P.
|18 oct 2004|
CUE is getting more and more advanced. I hope it will be ready to use (altough yet very primitive) very soon. Just keep tracking the page and mailing list :)
|15 oct 2004|
Yuppiee! I got a pegasos board. New, beautiful, pre-april (burnt) board. For all Pegasos users - I promise You to prepare a native FP version for You if I ever make this crap working... I've been told that despite it doesn't boot up it sends some output to serial port. Hope this will satisfy You as much as it satisfies me. Thanks, anyways.
|16 aug 2004|
New page coming up soon!||
The page is being reconstructed / prepared for multilingual support :). Doing my best to make it as flexible as possible...
Who knows, maybe one day it'll be ready ;)...
|10 aug 2004|
As some of You may already know, DVD-R(W) works fine with FryingPan already :D.
After few months and several destroyed DVD-RW media (yes, that is true, i managed to burn these the way these could have never been erased again...) I think it works fine now.
At least.. this is what my betatesters say :).
|07 jul 2004|
Didn't seem hard to get through... Hope it will be so easy with DVD-R(W)...
Burning of these media does not work in test mode... It is likely that this kind of media doesn't support it at all...
|29 feb 2004|
Mailing list up and running!||
Want to join? send an email to email@example.com